Canon Powershot TX1 Forums
August 02, 2014, 01:33:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Due to the high level of SPAM attacks on the forum, all new members will now require approval by the admin. This may be relaxed in future but is in place for the time being.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos of insides of TX-1  (Read 8416 times)
robocat

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2008, 12:09:12 AM »

Just found these photos of the TX-1 internals: http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo26/Wolfgang054/TX1/ which were taken by Wolfgang when fixing his camera (http://forums.powershot-tx1.com/index.php?topic=127.0).

Anyone else got any links to photos of internals?

I intend to do a series showing the process to take apart (I have taken all the covers off before and it is simple - the only trick is to be very careful to track which screws come from where - because there are subtle differences in heads and screw lengths!). Edit: see posts in this thread for photos and instructions on accessing internals of camera.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:42:17 PM by robocat » Logged
cybercom

TX-1 x 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 09:07:04 AM »

I'll look forward to your disassembly tutorial...

THX Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><
robocat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 01:32:23 PM »

If anyone takes theirs apart, perhaps they could do a cheat-sheet about which screw goes where (I can't because I am not certain I didn't mix them up!).

An A4 page of pictures of each of the sides so the screws can be placed on the place the came from might be a good help too! Smiley
robocat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 02:15:49 PM »

WARNING: Be *very* *very* careful when taking each screw out to note where it came from - there are subtle differences between them in length or type (two screws next to each other are often different by an unobvious millimetre, or in head type).

1) Remove the three screws at the back of the camera - two below the DISP. and MENU buttons, and one beside the video record icon.

2) You can now slide the top cover off towards the back (top cover is the cover over the DISP/MENU/FUNCSET buttons). [When replacing this cover, I bent the top lightly while sliding it back in. I did this so that the inside of the print/alt button wouldn't catch on the inside of the camera, or damage the button component. You don't want to break off the plastic protrusion that is part of the button or it wouldn't work any more.]

3) Remove the screw at the top that has been exposed.

4) Remove the three visible screws at the bottom of the camera.

5) The complete right hand side of the camera can now be removed.

* back.jpg (99.96 KB, 300x640 - viewed 524 times.)

* top_cover.jpg (65.05 KB, 282x640 - viewed 508 times.)

* top_without_cover.jpg (107.45 KB, 340x640 - viewed 514 times.)

* bottom.jpg (109.19 KB, 306x640 - viewed 472 times.)

* RHS_without_cover.jpg (116.33 KB, 451x607 - viewed 591 times.)
robocat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 02:55:36 PM »

WARNING: Be *very* *very* careful when taking each screw out to note where it came from - there are subtle differences between them in length or type (two screws next to each other are often different by an unobvious millimetre, or in head type).

1) Remove the RHS cover (as per comment above).

2) Open up the LCD, and remove four screws as indicated in the attached image. [Don't touch the three screws closest to the swivel - you don't want to unscrew the LCD].

3) Close the LCD, and you can remove the LHS cover.

You can now remove most other parts (the LHS cover doesn't really give you access to anything much), however I suggest you don't remove anything else unless you specifically need to. This is because you can release parts that are trickier to get back together correctly. When putting the covers on again, take care to get the tabs of the covers into the right places. It should be clear where they go, except perhaps at the top, where the thin tab of the LHS cover goes underneath the larger tab (surrounding the shutter button) of the RHS cover.

I have photos with some other parts removed and could write more. Email me if you want them (I need to spend a little time editing the photos before I post them here).

* LHS_cover_screws.jpg (74.28 KB, 545x305 - viewed 500 times.)

* LHS_cover.jpg (75.31 KB, 640x350 - viewed 445 times.)

* LHS_without_cover.jpg (109.03 KB, 413x640 - viewed 597 times.)
cybercom

TX-1 x 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 08:51:22 AM »

Keep 'em coming, please!

And thanks for taking the time and effort to contribute these extremely valuable images & disassembly tips. Grin

TIA,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><
Pingouin
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 05:10:56 AM »

Great info, thanks! Hopefully, I'll never need to actually do it Grin
robocat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 07:13:36 PM »

To detach the whole LCD display assembly, first remove the LHS and RHS covers.

Unscrew the two swivel mount screws (see blue arrows).
The display assembly is now free.
Take care not to lose the small metal piece that goes over the switch - it is freed as soon as you remove the display assembly.

To actually disconnect the display assembly, you would need to:
1) disconnect the swivel switch connector (two red wires shown in display_detached_2 image).
2) disconnect the microphone connector.
3) disconnect the LCD connector.
Photos of the microphone and LCD connector are shown in this thread about microphones.

Note 1: You should not need to remove the swivel cover (perhaps if the display swivel tilt sensor was broken, or if you suspected display/mic wires were damaged inside the swivel mount). It has a single screw but it is clipped on tightly, and you need to angle the swivel correctly to remove it.

Note 2: In the photos I think more parts are removed than necessary. You probably don't need to remove the plastic cover with the SD slot door in it, and maybe not the zoom switch assembly (depending on what you are wanting to do).

* display_swivel_mount.jpg (113.09 KB, 640x356 - viewed 501 times.)

* display_detached_1.jpg (83.76 KB, 480x415 - viewed 515 times.)

* display_switch_piece.jpg (12.84 KB, 200x117 - viewed 462 times.)

* display_swivel_cover.jpg (54.29 KB, 368x377 - viewed 477 times.)

* display_detached_2.jpg (95.01 KB, 640x480 - viewed 607 times.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 07:15:59 PM by robocat » Logged
robocat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 07:40:04 PM »

Photos of the inside of the LCD display assembly are in the mic thread:
http://forums.powershot-tx1.com/index.php?topic=44.msg744#msg744
and http://forums.powershot-tx1.com/index.php?topic=44.15

Photos of some other Canon cameras completely disassembled: http://qman.fotokala.ee/index.html
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 06:00:48 PM by robocat » Logged
AceOfThumbs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 04:39:57 PM »

Cheesy Thanks robocat!! Your posts gave me confidence to take my TX-1 apart and repair a problem with the mode switch.

I actually dropped the camera several months ago. After that, it would stay in auto mode no matter where the switch was positioned. I thought about trying to open it up, but I was afraid of springs flying out or delicate mechanisms breaking in the process. After seeing the photos and reading the description, I felt like it was worth trying.

It turned out to be a very quick repair. The mode switch has little metal contacts that must have gotten bent flat from the impact of the fall. I gently bent them out a little, put the cover back on, and it worked!

Now I can switch to manual mode, play mode, etc. just as before.
robocat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 07:03:03 PM »

AceOfThumbs

Thanks for the feedback - it is good to know that the information is a help!
Psychokitty

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 12:35:15 PM »

RC, did you ever find out what the 5th contact on that swith is for?
robocat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 09:34:50 PM »

RC, did you ever find out what the 5th contact on that swith is for?

No, I never did.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: