Canon Powershot TX1 Forums
July 25, 2014, 04:01:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Due to the high level of SPAM attacks on the forum, all new members will now require approval by the admin. This may be relaxed in future but is in place for the time being.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No TX2, What's next for you?  (Read 2629 times)
Setter Dog

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2008, 01:35:05 PM »

It seems certain there will not be a TX2. Reports that Canon only sold 10,000 units and considers the camera sort of a flop. I personally think it's a great camera and I love mine for most purposes. However, I need something that takes good video and stills, like the TX1, but can be handled easily in the field with one hand. The teeny LCD and fiddly control layout make one handed operation, especially with gloves, almost impossible.

My hope is that Canon puts the TX1 guts into something more usable, like the A series cameras, and maybe includes a viewfinder or at least a much larger LCD. If they don't come through, the Sony T500 looks like it has most everything but the viewfinder. I'll have to give this one a serious look.

How about you?
bensaunders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 07:45:13 AM »

Hi,

For me, the TX1 is still quite new and I have grown to love it! But I still find I carry my Ixus 860is with me for low light situations.

I would love to have seen a TX2 or even an ixus/elph with HD video. I'm sure this will come, but we will lose the 10x zoom!

The Sony t500 looks interesting but I need to see some samples before I think about it more seriously!

Cheers

Ben

CroceaMors

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:36:50 AM »

I think it will be the same camera after one, two or three years. If you like it now, what would be wrong with it after two years?
ribault

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 12:54:01 PM »

I would like to see the HD video and stereo WAV capability migrate to other ELPH-sized cameras.  There's no going back!
Setter Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 01:48:08 PM »

I'm not unhappy with the TX1. Quite the contrary, it is actually a better camera than I thought it would be when I bought it. I do have special needs that the TX1 does not fit.

I'm in Idaho for some hunting and fishing this month and took the TX1 to the hills with me this morning when I ran the dogs. I was not surprised but was disappointed that I could simply not acquire my subjects (bird dogs) at even 35-50 yards through the tiny LCD. If I aquired them eventually, it was still hard to track them if they were moving. The TX1, as nice a unit as it is, has limitations. I knew of this TX1 limitation but thought I'd try one more time.

I'll revert back to my Canon A710. It takes good video, good stills and is easy to find a subject with, due to the viewfinder. I will continue to use the A710 for field work and the TX1 for everything else. I'm hoping Canon puts HD and zoom during video in an A series and retains the viewfinder. I can settle for the lower zoom if I have to.

cybercom

TX-1 x 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 08:05:40 PM »

@SetterDog,

I don't think it would take much to fabricate a simple wireframe finder that would solve your problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><
pwebb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 01:39:39 PM »

surely the new Canon SX1 IS is the next step up -
20x zoom, 10 Mpixels, Digic 4 and Full HD 1080P - that is a serious spec.

http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/dcp/pssx1is/specifications.html
robocat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 04:43:38 PM »

Edit: see this thread for discussion about the SX200IS which has 720p HD video, 12MPixel, 12x zoom.

> Canon SX1 IS

OK - I'll bite. The SX1 is not a pocket camera: it is a crapload bigger, about 2.5 times the weight, and I am sure it is a lot more expensive!

TX1 [we love you!]:
Dimensions (WxHxD) 88.8 x 59.9 x 29.0mm (3.50 x 2.36 x 1.14 in.)
Weight (camera body only)    Approx. 220g (7.76 oz.)

SX1:
Dimensions (excluding protrusions)   127.5 x 88.3 x 87.7 mm (5.0 x 3.5 x 3.5 in.)
Weight (camera body only)   Approx. 585 g (20.6 oz.)

That said, of course I would love one Smiley
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:15:05 PM by robocat » Logged
Setter Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 10:38:19 AM »

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying the SX10. I like Canon video, the sound, the IS etc. Sure, it's not HD but I've quit using HD in my TX1. I find it much, much easier to acquire my subject in the 4x3 aspect ratio. The resulting videos look just as good on my HD tv, just not as wide.
James

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 04:22:18 PM »

For me, the small size of the TX1 is the main feature, and I'm willing to put up with the tiny LCD, often shooting 'from the hip', hoping for the best - it usually works - or lining up a distant subject along the top edge. When I get time, I might try fitting a viewfinder from one of the cheap 'once only' film cameras, or a folding wire frame or gunsight style device to ensure better aim at distant subjects. 

Its taken me about six months to learn my way around the menus, and their scope, so I can adjust things quickly to retake poor shots. As a result, I am more content with the TX1, and have bought a second TX1 to keep in reserve.

But I have yet to try CHDK to see the benefits of image stacking to improve resolution, depth of field, or dynamic range. The scope of this little beauty continues to amaze me.
Setter Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 04:36:02 PM »

For me, the small size of the TX1 is the main feature, and I'm willing to put up with the tiny LCD, often shooting 'from the hip', hoping for the best - it usually works - or lining up a distant subject along the top edge.

To sort of answer my initial "what's next" question, I just ordered a Canon SX10 and look forward to using it as a "car and house" camera during holidays. The long 20x zoom may come in very handy on my next trip to Yellowstone where I love to photograph those fabulous animals. I think the wide lens will be nice when trying to corral all the grandkids.

I guess there's never going to be a replacement for the TX1, and I regret that. As special as the TX1 is, a TX2 could have been tweeked a little here and there and been sensational. As it is, my TX1 will be in my pocket even when I'm lugging the SX10 around.

(Must say that I would pay money to see Cyril's quick draw and shoot from the hip technique!)

Jack
James

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 03:51:21 AM »

Hi Jack. when I refer to shooting from the hip, I do not mean a quick draw technique, simply that I shoot the picture without looking at the LCD.

The TX1 is small and light enough to carry in the palm of my hand. If there appears to be a chance of an interesting picture, I switch it on and unfold the LCD. Then if a suitable subject does present itself I may raise the camera to eye level and compose a shot. But if things are changing fast, I may just aim the camera in the direction of the subject, press the shutter slowly - to let the autofocus engage - then complete the shot. Having cut my teeth on 35 mm cameras with standard 50 mm lenses, the TX1's 39 mm is a good bit wider - not as wide as I'd like, but wide enough to ensure I can capture the main subject, and the pistol grip format helps with that. As I generally look at pictures on a 24 inch computer screen - which is only 2.3 MP - and I rarely print, and then seldom larger than A5 or A4, I am happy enough if I have to crop away quite a bit of the TX1's 7 MP image.

Being short-sighted, I wear glasses almost all the time, and my 'outdoor' pair darken in sunlight. So I cannot see the LCD clearly through my darkened glasses, and I cannot focus on the LCD unless I take my glasses off - in which case I cannot clearly see the subject: Catch 22! So I compromise by pointing and clicking. But that is only if the potential subject is changing fast.

Cyril
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: